Saturday, December 08, 2012

Running and the Nature of God

I am often asked what I think about when I go on lon runs, and my usual response is "nothing" - which is completely untrue. The truth, though would lead to a much more involved discussion - so the lie is much easier. I feel compelled to write some of these thoughts, and this blog is a nice medium for that. The only problem is that this goes in chronological order - and the thoughts actually evolve in forward, but oh well.

Lately I have thought a lot about the nature of God - and being very steeped in science, I try to resolve science fact with religion. I start with a simple premise like "God is Everywhere" and work this out in my head. Using that as a starting point, I then jump to the nature of mass (not as in church, but the scientific definition). We are discovering that not everything in the universe has mass. Mass is simply another property, and I hesitate to say of matter, because that in itself implies mass. But if we free God having mass, we also free God of the physics constraints of objects that have mass. This now give God some abilities to allow God to be everywhere. (Notice I avoid using him/her to describe this God - as the true nature is way beyond describing in terms of human perception). First is time. Get rid of mass and theoretically you can exist everywhere in time simultaneously - that in itself is pretty powerful. I arrived at this conclusion through a lot of thought exercises - but used "massless" as the starting point.

The ability to move through time (or exist in all times) has some disturbing repercussions, one of which is it make everything predetermined. I don't believe that everything is predetermined, so it follows that there also must be multiple realities (possibly infinite) to create the "free will" and the cause/effect relationship of free will.

I'm going to leave this post hanging on these thoughts, there is a lot more I hope to explore in the future such as; what is math (not what we all think), the concept of infinity (which I seem to have a grasp on now) and a lot of others.

So if next time you ask e what I am thinking - I give you the short answer - please don't be offended.

No comments: